Monday, January 21, 2013

a wonderful day


To begin... Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! I hope everyone has a moment today to reflect on the example of this brilliant human being and how we can embrace his teachings everyday.


I will be at home, nursing an icky sty... watching inaugural and Dr. King coverage... and working on the piece above which coincidentally happens to be in the image of the very first African-American woman to be elected to congress- Shirley Chisholm. Congresswoman Chisholm was also the first African-American presidential candidate from a major party as well as the first woman to be nominated by the Democratic Party for presidential candidate. Pretty powerful lady, no?


I will also continue working on the Southwest Sunset gift set for my little Canadian niece... I can't wait for it to be finished and shipped off to Vancouver for the little munchkin to tumble around with.


In other news, I am very excited about this vintage Ethan Allen sleeper sofa we picked up on Craigslist yesterday. For the first time in the four years that the honey and I have lived together we have a real sofa. I love the way our old IKEA 'couch' looked (before it got stained to death) but it really was like cuddling on a pile of pick-up sticks. This is much more comfortable and makes me feel better about hijacking what would have been our guest room for my studio space.

I leave you with the greeting inside of the very first Happy MLK, Jr Day! card I have ever received in my life:

"Peace, tolerance, love, and compassion. May the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. fill your heart today and everyday!"


No comments:

Post a Comment