Wednesday, October 24, 2012

some art I liked


Today I knocked off a couple more hot spots from my list of places to check out in Albuquerque.

I finally drove over to Harwood Art Center. It looked impressive from the outside and felt pretty magical on the inside. There were two exhibits up. First a show by Duke City artist R. Potter (above). I've been meaning to see her work since I discovered her during a 'local research bender' sometime last year. I missed her work up at the New Mexico Museum of Art earlier this year, so I was very pleased to find is on exhibit at the Harwood this month. I really enjoyed a couple of her larger pieces that look and speak like cartographic landscapes of the human body. I love the way she manipulates textiles adding acrylic paints for create surface tension and sprays of black thread to cause a bit of wincing every now and then from the viewer. I look forward to seeing her work again.


There was also a group show up: Borders and Boundaries. It was an interesting little assemblage of works. The pieces that really spoke to me were the drawing from Celine Browning's Keeping Out Holding In series and the Watershed Topography drawings by Ellie Irons. Above is a shot of Maria Lux's Rats, 2010 (via 516 Arts blog) which was also stunning.


I also got to finally see Valerie Roybal's work up close... another one of my 'local research' gems. The papers she uses are so interesting and she has a great talent for line, composition, and color. I would love to afford a work of hers one day.


Also... I really, really wish I could go to this workshop by Megan Canning at the Textile Arts Center in Brooklyn.


No comments:

Post a Comment