Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Made this: Kashmiri Chai


Recently, I've been reading the travelogue, Holy Cow, about Aussie journalist Sarah MacDonald's life in India. It's been an interesting read, with a very strong viewpoint from the author, but really I'm hooked on any story with vivid descriptions of places I cannot yet afford to visit. After reading about her stay in Kashmir, I was driven to find a recipe for the tea she describes from her travels there. I think the recipe I found and made is as authentic as I'd be able to get here in the states... It was delicious anyway. The recipe is below.

The ingredients: green tea, ground almonds, green cardamom, sugar, cinnamon, and...

... saffron.



Kashmiri Green Chai


Ingredients:

1 stick cinnamon
5 pods green cardamom, gently crushed
5 t sugar
6 strands of saffron
2 t green tea leaves
2 T powdered almonds (crush raw almonds in a food processor) 


Directions:

Fill a heavy-bottomed pot with 5 1/2 cups of filtered water. Add cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, and sugar and boil for 10-15 minutes, until the liquid is fragrant and a deep amber color. Remove from heat and add tea leaves. Cover and steep for 3-5 minutes. Pour into cups and fix with a spoon of powdered almonds in each cup. Then enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. holy cow that looks yummy.
    sigh

    those little bottles.. mine are from the EB depot - scraps cousin - and YES they show up everywhere, huh???
    happy spring !

    ReplyDelete
  2. kashmiri chai
    I liked it on reading it. I simply loved it when I drank it; 'twas made for me by my nephew's Kashmiri wife. :)

    ReplyDelete