Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Made This: Blueberry-Nutmeg Banana Loaf
Made this kick-ass banana loaf the other day.
Wanna know how?
1/3 c melted unsalted butter
2/3 c sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c all-purpose whole wheat flour
2 c frozen blueberries
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1. Mush bananas while still in their skins and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients. Mushing the bananas in the skins causes the natural sugars to develop quickly, requiring less cane sugar in the recipe.
2. Oven to 350°F.
3. Combine melted butter and sugar. Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir well.
4. Sift baking soda, salt, and nutmeg into wet mixture and stir gently. Add flour by half cup to the wet mixture. Stir well.
5. Fold in frozen blueberries gently. Don't over mix.
6. Pour into nonstick standard loaf pan (or gently greased or parchment lined) and bake in oven for one hour, give or take. Cool for 15 minutes before releasing loaf from the pan. Slice and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
P.S. If you like to freeze loaves like these for later, try slicing them at room temperature first. It will be easier to enjoy from the freezer in the future.