Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Fantastic Fox Hall








I went to visit my mom and her husband last week in Red Lodge, Montana. They live in an incredible old building that was once the Finnish Community Hall of the now defunct town of Fox. Its many charms include a fully intact stage complete with hand-painted curtains and backdrops, a tiny ticket booth turned meditation room, a green house built from old glass windows, and a chicken run crafted from old barn lumber and two original out houses from homesteading times. 

I can't explain the romance of Montana and especially of my mom's not so little home there. It is a bastion for creativity, simplicity, and joy.

While I was there this last time we picked fresh veggies at an organic 'u-pic' farm where we met the two charming piglets above. We adopted two doe goats who were very good companions while we picked chokecherries up the road and apples from our neighbor's trees. I made plenty of sun tea and baked delicious scones and generally relaxed and enjoyed myself in my mom's beautiful home whilst crocheting a lovely new scarf and reading E.M. Forster's A Passage to India

This last go around has me really thinking about what I want from my life. It seems there must be a pair of dairy goats and a vegetable garden in there somewhere.

More pictures here.



3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, their house sounds amazing! I love Montana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adoring your new blog. It is very inspiring, of course:) I am in a post-graduation time warp. I just made a comment on your July 25th Mudbucket post but I swear it seems like the end of July was yesterday. Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks heavenly ! [and yes - think about what you want out of life !!]

    and i love your tahini cookies... and thank you for noticing my always matching accessories ... :)

    ReplyDelete